Shepherd Mountain Bike Park
What To Expect
Report Trail Issues
It is in everyone's interest to do what they can to help keep the park and trails in pristine condition.
Click HERE if you need to report a trail issue.
WE KNOW RIDERS ARE GREAT STEWARDS. HOWEVER, IF YOU SEE AN ISSUE YOU'D LIKE TO TAKE CARE OF, PLEASE DON'T DO ANYTHING TO ALTER THE TRAIL IN ANY MANNER.
It is important for riders to have a correct set of expectations about the park. Below are 10 key points to help you with that.
1. In Phase I, five gravity trails will be available for riders. A Green, Two Blues and Two Blacks will provide some of the most exciting riding in the Midwest.
2. All Shuttle Tickets will likely be purchased online, or once capacity increases, at the Wheel House, located at Hwy 21 and Russell Street. Anyone purchasing a Shuttle Ticket needs to check in at the Wheel House upon arrival. Parking will be available there as well. Showers, a bike wash and restrooms will also be available.
3. With a shuttle ticket, you'll receive a ride to the mountain from the Wheel House and a ride up to the top. As the park progresses, the "lift process" will be constantly evaluated so we can increase our lift capacity and work out any hitches. Appreciate your patience while we figure it out.
4. If you're adventurous, there are ways off the mountain that will connect you to city streets in Ironton, enabling you to ride back to your car.
5. The Lifts will be available on limited days initially. This information will be published once a final schedule is determined.
6. Coolio's Climb (2.3 miles), with an average grade of 5 degrees, is available for easy access to the top. This can be used when lift capacity is maxed out or when the Lifts are not running. Also a great hiking trail.
7. We plan to have restrooms and a small pavilion at the base of the mountain for riders' convenience. It is currently under construction.
8. Interested in Cross-Country Trails? These are included in Phase II development of the park. We will begin construction on Phase II as soon as funding is secured. Riders and companies can speed up Phase II implementation by becoming a park sponsor or by dining at a Feed The Shepherd participating restaurant.
9. Numerous restaurants, hotels, B&B's, shopping, etc. are located within five minutes of the mountain. Three very popular state parks are within a 15 minute drive of the mountain.
10. An Amtrak Station is located five minutes from the mountain. The Texas Eagle runs from Chicago to San Antonio, so if you're interested in throwing your bike on a train and coming to ride, it's there! To our knowledge, this is the only mountain bike park in the country that has an Amtrak stop only five minutes from great mountain bike riding!